At the Bus Stop
- Walk safely to the bus stop and stay well away from the street.
- Arrive at the bus stop 10 minutes before bus time.
- When waiting, keep yourself and your belongings out of the road and away from traffic.
- Don’t run between parked cars and buses.
- Never move towards the bus until it has stopped and the driver opens the door.
Danger Zone around a Stopped School Bus
- Stay 10 feet away from the front or back end of the bus so that the driver can see you.
- Wait for the driver to signal you to board the bus.
- Before stepping off the curb to board the bus, look left and right to make sure your path to the bus is clear, especially if the bus is stopped away from the curb.
- Check that drawstrings, backpack straps, scarves and loose clothing cannot get caught on the bus handrail, door or the seats.
- Use the hand rail when entering the bus.
- Do not push or shove other students.
Getting Seated on the Bus
- Find a seat and sit down.
- It is important to listen to the bus driver in case there are any special instructions for your bus ride.
- Do not leave your seat until the bus arrives at your stop.
- Help keep the aisles clear. Backpacks or books can trip someone or block the way to the emergency exit.